The brains of children with autism show more connections than the brains of typically developing children do. What’s more, the brains of individuals with the most severe social symptoms are also the most hyper-connected. The findings reported in two independent studies published in the Cell Press…
“Thanks to the redundancy of language, yxx cxn xndxrstxnd whxt x xm wrxtxng xvxn xf x rxplxcx xll thx vxwxls wxth xn “x” (t gts lttl hrdr f y dn’t vn kn whr th vwls r).”—The Language Instinct, Steven Pinker (via elucipher)
So I forgot to mention… I’m on a four month long backpacking Europe trip! Left with my boyfriend mid-September and won’t return until January 2014!
For anyone that’s interested in what we’ve been up to and what life’s like backpacking, you can check out my blog :)
(Note: I really hate self promoting but it occurred to me there might be some people that are genuinely interested in following our travels so I thought Id share :))
On animal testing: I think it is wrong, morally. But I recognize that it is a necessity, is important to the progress of humanity, and has no alternatives for now. One thing I’m interested in looking into if I do decide to pursue biology is developing an effective alternative to animal testing….
You strike me as someone of extreme intelligence. This is why what you’re saying here saddens me so much. You, of all people, should understand how pointless animal testing is… how flawed it is.
Let me explain to you exactly why that is.
1. Less than 2% of human illnesses (1.16%) are ever seen in animals. Over 98% never affect animals.
2. According to the former scientific executive of Huntingdon Life Sciences, animal tests and human results agree “5%-25% of the time.”
3. Among the hundreds of techniques available instead of animal experiments, cell culture toxicology methods give accuracy rates of 80-85%
4. 92% of drugs passed by animal tests immediately fail when first tried on humans because they’re useless, dangerous or both.
5. The two most common illnesses in the Western world are lung cancer from smoking and heart disease. Neither can be reproduced in lab animals.
6. A 2004 survey of doctors in the UK showed that 83% wanted an independent scientific evaluation of whether animal experiments had relevance to human patients. Less than 1 in 4 (21%) had more confidence in animal tests than in non-animal methods.
7. Rats are 37% effective in identifying what causes cancer to humans – less use than guessing. The experimenters said: “we would have been better off to have tossed a coin.”
8. Rodents are the animals almost always used in cancer research. They never get carcinomas, the human form of cancer, which affects membranes (eg lung cancer). Their sarcomas affect bone and connective tissue. The two are completely different.
9. The results from animal tests are routinely altered radically by diet, light, noise, temperature, lab staff and bedding. Bedding differences caused cancer rates of over 90% and almost zero in the same strain of mice at different labs.
10. Gender differences among lab animals can cause contradictory results. This does not correspond with humans.
11. 75% of side effects identified in animals never occur.
12. Over half of side effects cannot be detected in lab animals.
13. Vioxx was shown to protect the heart of mice, dogs, monkeys and other lab animals. It was linked to heart attacks and strokes in up to 139,000 humans.
14. Genetically modified animals are not like humans. The mdx mouse is supposed to have muscular dystrophy, but the muscles regenerate with no treatment.
15. Genetically Modified (GM) animal, the CF- mouse, never gets fluid infections in the lungs – the cause of death for 95% of human cystic fibrosis patients.
16. In America, 106,000 deaths a year are attributed to reactions to medical drugs.
17. Each year 2.1 million Americans are hospitalized by medical treatment.
18. In the UK an estimated 70,000 people are killed or severely disabled every year by unexpected reactions to drugs. All these drugs have passed animal tests.
19. In the UKs House Of Lords, questions have been asked regarding why unexpected reactions to drugs (which passed animal tests) kill more people than cancer.
20. A German doctor’s congress concluded that 6% of fatal illnesses and 25% of organic illness are caused by medicines. All have been animal tested.
21. According to a thorough study, 88% of stillbirths are caused by drugs which passed animal tests.
22. 61% of birth defects were found to have the same cause.
23. 70% of drugs which cause human birth defects are safe in pregnant monkeys.
24. 78% of foetus-damaging chemicals can be detected by one non-animal test.
25. Thousands of safe products cause birth defects in lab animals – including water, several vitamins, vegetable oils, oxygen and drinking waters. Of more than 1000 substances dangerous in lab animals, over 97% are safe in humans.
26. One of the most common lifesaving operations (for ectopic pregnancies) was delayed 40 years by vivisection.
27. Blood transfusions were delayed 200 years by animal studies.
28. The polio vaccine was delayed 40 years by monkey tests.
29. 30 HIV vaccines, 33 spinal cord damage drugs, and over 700 treatments for stroke have been developed in animals. None work in humans.
30. The Director of Research Defence Society, (which serves only to defend vivisection) was asked if medical progress could have been achieved without animal use. His written reply was “I am sure it could be.”
I could argue against every single one of these points but I’m just going to say something to the not-yet biased reader: please be aware that just because there are numbers given, it does not mean the whole story is there. Take these “facts” to any scientist that actually does research (on animals or not) or anyone, really, that doesn’t have a biased perspective, and they’ll explain to you the “other half of the story.”
“If owning a gun and knowing how to use it worked, the military would be the safest place for a woman. It’s not.
If women covering up their bodies worked, Afghanistan would have a lower rate of sexual assault than Polynesia. It doesn’t.
If not drinking alcohol worked, children would not be raped. They are.
If your advice to a woman to avoid rape is to be the most modestly dressed, soberest and first to go home, you may as well add “so the rapist will choose someone else”.
If your response to hearing a woman has been raped is “she didn’t have to go to that bar/nightclub/party” you are saying that you want bars, nightclubs and parties to have no women in them. Unless you want the women to show up, but wear kaftans and drink orange juice. Good luck selling either of those options to your friends.